To get an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 148 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
Park vehicle passes are required for all events at North Dakota and Minnesota state parks. Vehicle passes are $7 daily and $35 annually in both states.
• May 11: Lake of the Woods Chapter of the Ruffed Grouse Society banquet, Springsteel Resort, 38004 Beach Street. Warroad, Minn. Social hour 5:30 p.m., with dinner at 7:30 p.m. Banquet tickets $60 single or $95 couple; limited number of sponsorships also available. Info: Jared Olafson, (218) 242-1005.
• May 12: Roseau-Lake of the Woods Sportsman Club annual fish fry and membership drive, 4 to 7 p.m., Eagles Club, 56720 state Highway 11, Warroad, Minn.; $12 per plate; memberships $25 family, $15 single.
Turtle River State Park
Here's a listing of spring events and summer programs at Turtle River State Park, 3084 Park Ave., Arvilla, N.D. Park vehicle passes are required for all events. Info: (701) 594-4445.
• May 12: Rain or Shine Hike, 10 a.m., meet at the CCC trailhead
• May 18: Amphitheater program, "Birding Basics," 8 p.m.
• May 19: Dakota Explorers, "Feathered Friends," 10 a.m., Visitor Center.
• May 19: Amphitheater program, "Raptors," 8 p.m.
• May 20: Birding Hike, 7 to 9 a.m., Woodland Lodge.
• May 25: Amphitheater program,"Something's Fishy," 8 p.m.
• May 26: Dakota Explorers, "Wetland Safari," 10 a.m., Visitor Center.
• May 26: Amphitheater program, "Fishing Tips and Tricks," 8 p.m.
• May 27: "Fish n' Fun," 10 a.m., CCC Memorial Shelter.
• May 30: Registration for Grand Forks Women's Sporting Clays Program, 6:30 p.m., Dakota Hunting Club and Kennel, 1854 11th Ave. N.E., Grand Forks (4 miles west of Interstate 29 on 32nd Avenue South, turn left on Airport Road at stop sign, go 1 mile south, then turn right and go 2 miles west on gravel road). Fee is $50 per person for the season. Weekly sessions will be held at 6:30 p.m. June 5, June 12, June 19, June 26, July 3, July 10 and the final event July 17, which will include a fun shoot, picnic and prizes. Info: Greg LaHaise, (218) 791-3622 or Harvey Gullicks, (218) 791-6914.
• June 22-23: 42nd annual Devils Lake Chamber of Commerce Walleye Tournament, Devils Lake. Early Bird entry date is March 31, and five of the teams entered by then will win back their entry fee of $275 per team. Grahams Island State Park is tournament headquarters. More info: devilslakend.com or (701) 662-4903.
• July 28-29: Cats Incredible Catfish Tournament, LaFave Park, East Grand Forks. Rules meeting at 7 p.m. July 27 at tournament headquarters; fishing hours from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 28-29. Entry fee $230 per two-person team, with a tournament limit of 125 teams. Info: catsincredibletournament.com or email@example.com.
Permit to Carry
• May 20: North Dakota Class I & II Permit to Carry training, 8 a.m., Hampton Inn, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
• May 20: 2 for 1 Minnesota Permit to Carry training, 11 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela's. Info: Laura Ramirez, (218) 252-1631; permittocarry.org.
• May 16-19: Detroit Lakes Festival of Birds, various sites in northwest Minnesota near Detroit Lakes, Minn. Tours of Hamden Slough and Tamarac national wildlife refuges are part of this year's 21st annual festival. Noah Stryker, who set a world record in 2015 by seeing 6,042 birds, more than half the birds on earth, whiel traveling 41 countries and all seven continents, will be the festival's keynote speaker. Info: visitdetroitlakes.com.
• June 13-17: Potholes and Prairie Birding Festival, Carrington, N.D. Field trips to Arrowwood and Chase Lake national wildlife refuges are among the festival highlights. Info: birdingdrives.com/Our_Festival.html.